Luckily it was time for my contract renewal, out of character, I made a huge technological leap and upgraded to an iPhone. Now, the whole prospect of dropping that screen and having it break, combined with the cost of the bloody phone (luckily luckily free on contract) had me immediately buy one of those jel/silicone type skins.
And then we went away for the weekend to a camping place on a game ranch and I wanted to walk around an take photos - but not having to hold the phone in my hand the whole time! So I proceed to hook up a pouch, which I usually actively dislike.
I had my Rainbow Ripple with me, with the two remaining colours of wool.
Orange it was going to be.
And this is how the pouch turned into a monster:
First I hooked a rectangle roughly twice the length of the phone.
It was too narrow so I went around again, in singles.
Managed to crochet that together, decided to make ears, and not wanting to have to cut and not anywhere, had to slip right around to the front.
Stitched a smile, and back home found two eyes. Plus black wool for the sling, as in the end I didn't have enough!
Voila, one Mobile Monster! :-)
The inspiration comes from a post I saw at Crafty is cool , and I basically just used the facial expression from there. And it stirred up a new fascination for simple amigurumi, which gave me an idea that I want to ponder on ...and will report back on...
So this label will be added to the right somewhere:
And here follows 7 random things about myself:
- I've been crocheting now for almost a year, and absolutely love it.
- I learnt (erm...still learning) to swim breaststroke this year! Actually go for lessons every week, at my kiddies' coach.
- Reading defines me. I'll read the back of the cereal box if there's nothing else. Last year I actually tried to list the books that I read, forgot quite a few times, but came up with a total of 95.
- I've been living in my current house for 5 yrs now, which is the longest I ever lived anywhere (grew up with a dad who was transferred a lot.)
- I have a masters degree in agriculture, majoring in agroforestry - but I'm happily in service of my husband and children now.
- I (we) must be one of the few South Africans who chose not to stay on in Australia (the new frontier for many from here), but to return to good old Mzansi (that is some of our's pet name for RSA).
- Our Boxer dogs have surnames. We now live with Shamila K (daughter of the majestic Maximas Jamal) and Ben-girl Twelve. Previously there was Ounooi van Jaarsveld and Sasha Bardot.
I'll pass on this award to only 3 other bloggers (sorry for breaking the rules) - 'cause many that I would nominate have already been nominated:
- Kate at Fox's Lane. She blogs about her life on their organic farm, being a mom, crocheting and sewing, cooking and their amazing 6-month caravan trip through Australia. Always interesting.
- Tina at The Quiet Home. She's another homemaker, way up north in Scotland, battling away with her cooker, finding such joy in her handiwork and home work, and being a Godly inspiration to many of us with her posts.
- Ansie at Sol y sombra. This is my second nod to Ansie, a South African expat currently living in Dubai, and one of the most creative people I've encountered in Blogland. The things she comes up with! There's no stopping that creative brain.
Please visit their pages! There will be something interesting, inspiring and uplifting to read about.
And here are the rules for my nominees...
1. Add the award to your blog.
2. Thank the blogger who gave it to you.
3. Mention 7 random things about yourself.
4. List the rules.
5. Award to 15 bloggers.
6. Inform each of those 15 by leaving a comment on their blog.